Q.  How can I find out if someone is in jail?

A.  You can call 575-396-8669 and ask for records.  Then ask the records clerk if a specific person is being held.  You can also check the Detention Roster.

Q.  How do I bail someone out of jail?

A.  If you are coming to the jail to bond someone out, please come in the front door and go to the Records window.  It's the second window on the right.  They will assist you with bonding someone out.  If you are attempting to bond someone out after normal business hours, Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., then go to Central Control, the dark glass window, and tell the officer there who you need to bond out.

Q.  Can you recommend a bonding agent?

A.  No, some bonding agents have business cards in the lobby.  You can also check the yellow pages in the phone book.

Q.  When is inmate visitation?

A.  Please see Visitation Schedule.


Q.  How do I write a letter to an inmate?

A.  You can write to an inmate by addressing the letter to them at 1401 S. Commercial, Lovington, NM  88260.  Include your return name and address.  Mail not addressed properly will be returned or destroyed.  We do not accept greeting cards or cash in the mail.

Q.  Can I send books or magazines, etc.?

A.  Inmates may receive paperback books, newspapers and magazines if they are packaged and mailed by the publisher via direct subscription. (This does not include local book stores).  Must be free of anything which may be considered detrimental to the safety and security of the jail.  Must not contain sexually explicit information.  Due to our restricted capacity for storage, packages larger than 9x12 inches will be returned to sender.

Q.  How do I deposit money for an inmate to purchase commissary?

A.  You can send money with a credit/debit card at www.jpay.com or call 1-800-574-5729.  Also, there is a machine available in  the lobby for deposits. If they still have money in their account upon release, they will receive a check for the remainder.  If an inmate is released after hours or on the week-end, the finance officer will mail a check to the address provided by the inmate.  If you have any questions regarding an inmates account please call 575-396-8669 and ask for the finance officer.

Q.  Can I pick up an inmate's property?

A.  Inmates can release property to family and friends during normal business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday.   Inmates must fill out a release form prior to anyone picking up property.  Whoever comes to pick up the property must present  official  photo identification matching the name on the release form.  Property left at the jail after an inmate has been released will be destroyed if not picked within fifteen (15) days. 

Q.  Are there religious activities available to the inmates?

A.  Yes, clergy is available everyday from 8:00 to 8:30 everyday.  Bible study is scheduled throughout the week when volunteers are available. 

If you are interested in starting a jail ministry, please contact the Detention Center at 575-396-8669.

Q.  Are there trustee positions at this facility?

A.  Yes, Inmates must fill out an inmate request form asking to be a trustee.  These forms are available from officers working in the unit.  Eligible inmates with simple charges are given first consideration.  Inmates with disciplinary issues will have fewer opportunities.  We have positions for male and female.  Males can apply to work in the kitchen, laundry, floors and work detail.  Females can apply for kitchen, pod worker and sewing repairs. 

Trustee's receive additional privileges such as family visits with children of any age, coke and movie night, brewed coffee while working and for those who qualify one third reduction in their sentence.  DWI charges do not qualify because of mandatory sentencing.

Trustees may have family visits once a month.  These visits may include children of all ages.  There can't be more than five visitors for any family group.  At least one of the visitors must be an adult with a valid identification.  All other rules apply to family visits.


Q.  Can I call an inmate in jail?

A.  No, telephones are located in each inmate housing area for their use and convenience.  For inmates in special housing areas without a phone, we provide a mobile phone for their use as time allows.  Telephones are turned on between 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.  Calling cards are available through the commissary and can be used for international calls and cell phones.  The phone is a privilege not a right.  Inmates can lose their phone privileges when they don't follow our rules and regulations.  All calls made by inmates are collect except those calls made to the public defender's office. 

Q.  Who do I call about phone issues?

If you are having any problems at all receiving calls, please call 1-800-844-6591.  They will help you resolve any connection issues you might be experiencing.  This is the number to Securus.  They are the contact company which manages our inmate phone system.  They allow a few initial calls from the jail when the inmates first arrive.  After these first calls are completed they require an account to be set up to ensure payment.  If you are not receiving calls you may have to call the 800 number to establish an account with Securus.  You can click on  the following link for more information about Securus and their phone system.      www.correctionalbillingservices.com

Q.  What can I do about unwanted calls to my number by an inmate?

For this type of problem you may call us at 396-8694. We can block calls at the request of the public if they are receiving calls which they do not want.  However, please keep in mind if your number is blocked in our system then nobody in the jail can call that number.  So if someone you know gets arrested in the future and you want them to call you then you must call us and have that number unblocked.  Our system also has an automated blocking method which you can do yourself by following the directions to block a number after someone places an unwanted call to your number.  You can click on The following link for more information about Securus and their phone system.    www.correctionalbillingservices.com  

Q.  Does Lea County Detention Center have a volunteer program?

Yes, Lea County Detention Center has volunteers to  provide their services.  We have religious volunteers that provide counseling for our inmate seeking spiritual guidance.  We also have AA counselors that share their experience with alcohol and counsel inmates to make the right choice.

Q.  How can I become a volunteer?

Applications are available by calling the detention center at 575-396-8694 and asking for the person handling volunteer applications or you can come to the Administration window at the Detention Center Monday thru Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.  Click here for printable copy of the Security Clearance Application Form.

Q.  Are GED classes available for inmates?

Yes, classes are provided using video conferencing equipment which connects us to the New Mexico Junior College classroom on campus.  This is an excellent educational opportunity for the inmates.  We do limit these classes to only those inmates who qualify based on their classification level and behavior.

Q.  Do you house juveniles at the Detention Center?

Yes, Lea County Juvenile Detention Center is a 32 bed facility that is approximately 125,000 square feet.  Staff is on site 24/7, including holidays.  Our facility provides direct supervision where staff has visual contact on all juvenile inmates throughout each day.

Q.  What about education if the juvenile is still in school?

It is our policy for inmates to continue their education while in our center.  We have two teachers certified through the state and employed by Lovington Municipal Schools.  The teachers instruct morning and afternoon classes.  We also have religious volunteers for our juveniles seeking spiritual guidance.

Q.  Can I visit my child while in the Detention Center?

The visitation policy for each juvenile allows for immediate family or legal guardians to visit.  Immediate family includes dad, mom, sister, brother or the person that has legal custody.  Visitors must be over 16 years of age to visit.  Please call 575-396-8678 24 hours in advance to schedule a visit.